Thursday, December 30, 2010

Almost Viral

My YouTube video of Icelandic pop star Páll Óskar singing with Hjaltalín has recently reached its 1000th viewing milestone in a little over a year. At that rate it is not exactly burning up the web but I do think that it is pretty neat that about three people a day, every day, are watching that clip.

In the long term, I wonder what will survive of that performance. There were video crews there, and I have seen some snippets of it in HD, but mine is the whole song, the final song of Saturday night at the Art Museum, and arguably the climax of the entire Iceland Airwaves 2009 festival. Concerts were traditionally ephemeral, but recent advances in video distribution have made almost every musical performance of note available. Who knows how long You Tube will last? My video is not of the highest quality, but it does capture the spirit of the night, and that spirit is the reason why people go to concerts.

UPDATE: Due to YouTube's bizarre harassment, all of my old videos there have been deleted.

UPDATE UPDATE: I have given up on YouTube. All of my videos have been deleted.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE:

I finally got it reposted, I hope you enjoy it:


By Professor Batty


1 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

An aside - everyone runs around shooting video but a relative few upload it to the internet, fewer bother to edit it before uploading. Even pro filmmakers I know have thousands of hours of video that have never seen the light of day. So if we manage to get it out of post production, we don't have to apologize for the quality.

Congratulations on 1000 views and for capturing the feeling of this event!

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023