Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ephemera


Parsifal- The Six Flower Maidens, Minneapolis Music College Production, 1941

Until the advent of cinema, dramatic productions lived only while they were being performed. Over the years millions of these have come to fruition, only to wither to memories once the curtain closes. The above image was found among family snapshots in a box of photos at an estate sale. There were the usual pictures of vacations and graduations in the collection, but this was the only one that depicted a theatrical performance.

This ghost-image, this shadow play, had almost vanished but has now been reborn as a fleeting vision for a few hundred internet flâneurs, taking one last curtain call before oblivion.

By Professor Batty


6 Comments:

Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

I wonder if they bought it at the play, or took it themselves?

I was wondering... would you like to be a writer at a new community blog I started, here http://imstillaliveandnotdead.blogspot.com/

???


Blogger Professor Batty said...

CD ~ I think that someone in the family was in the production. The picture was professionally taken (I've cropped it a bit.)

I'm flattered that you asked me to join your blog, but I don't think I could give it the proper amount of attention. You may have noticed I've cut down on the frequency of my posts this year...


Blogger DanD said...

I watched a film called "Gentlemans Relish" a few nights ago, this photo reminded me of that movie.

~Dan D


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Daniel ~ I looked up Gentlemens Relish, quite an intriguing premise...


Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

If you reconsider, there are still spots open. I was somewhat inspired by your inclusion of Sharon Spotbottom. It started me thinking about blogs as more social creatures, having more voices. It's a nice concept.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

CD ~ If there are any posts here you think appropriate, you're welcome to use them, (with credit given, of course.)

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023