Tuesday, March 01, 2011

The Curious Case of Mr. Mark


Mr. Mark runs the local guitar shop.

A refuge from the antiseptic “big box” music stores, things here are agreeably informal. The walls are lined with dreams, some new and hopeful, some old and forgotten. But if your guitar is a nightmare, Mr. Mark can turn it into a dream come true. Mr. Mark turns 60 today, in honor of that milestone he held a party in his shop last Sunday. There were hot dogs and beer served among the amplifiers along with live music and tall tales. Mr. Mark's work bench is in an alcove in the store, the above antique spool cabinet holds miscellany: bits of wood; some tools; other odd things that he uses to create a part when there is none to be had. This case is older than both Mr. Mark and me—even if you added our ages together.

When I left the party I told Mr. Mark “I'll race you to 100.”

If he can make it, I suspect his case will too.

By Professor Batty


6 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

This is a pretty cool story. I like the writing style a lot.


Anonymous NormanLake said...

Thanx for the story about mr.Mark. My whole life has revolved around music, since I first heard Chuck Berry on the stand up radio, at the age of 8.


Anonymous MormonLake said...

There was a man,he called himself Vic, and he was THE man to seek if you wanted a fast bicycle, in my home town. He could make a Schwinn Sting Ray hop.Of course, you had to have a good operator.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Sofi ~ Thanks for stopping in, I see that we have Tavi in common. I'll be checking out your site.


Anonymous Jon said...

That sounds like a place I'd like to see on my annual Minneapolis trip. I'll have to get the address from you.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Jon ~ let me know when you're coming, I'll "show you the town."

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023