Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Yard Art


Reykjavík, 2009

Freedom of expression only goes so far. How far depends on your culture and, in the case of your yard or garden, your neighbors. One current trend in the U.S is the housing development with strict covenants on the appearance of your property. This means only "approved" colors on your siding and trim, fertilized, watered and short-mowed grass (native grasses need not apply.) And no art!

I'm not in that class (yet- but there are such developments within a mile of my house.) but who knows? There seems to be a trend to vinyl siding, a poor choice in this climate, but popular with developers. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some zealous inspector condemn my cedar shakes. They've lasted over 50 years now, most of the neighbors are on a second or third set of vinyl, steel or aluminum siding in the last 25 years. OK, I do have to paint every 7 years or so. I won't try any yard art such as the above, however- I'd be pushing my luck.

By Professor Batty


4 Comments:

Anonymous Jon said...

Your cedar would probably last at least 5o years even if you did nothing to it. Usually it just turns gray. I also have cedar siding, but it is stained. Guess I like the look.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

I really don't understand vinyl siding- it looks bad when its new:
full of joints, busts up with the first hail storm- and you can't
replace a section or two without it looking goofy because it has faded
so badly.


Blogger Heiða said...

Personally, I think aesthetic control is the worst kind of control. It is not acceptable that we all share the same taste, and my back-yard (wild-kingdom with all sorts of weirdness) is beautiful to me, and not to someone else. Why all this control in the world? When are we going to accept the fact that we are all different and have a right to be?


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Heida ~ I love the "art yards" of Reykjavík! Each time I go back to Iceland I spend hours strolling the streets- the whole city is like a big, mad museum.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023