Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Mystery of Tea



It's me, I know it. There are certain things in this world that I've never been able to develop an appreciation for: Tom Petty. Olives. Hockey. Tom Cruise. Polyester fabrics. The list goes on, but remember- these are not things I despise, it's that I just don't fathom their appeal.

Which brings me to the mystery of tea. Whether black or green, herbal or flavored, I have never been quite able to acquire the habit of "taking tea." Apart from a youth fling with "Red Zinger", I don't think I've drunk more than 3 or 4 cups of tea in any given year. Lord knows how I've tried! The scent of herbals are delightful, while the aromas of black or green tea are enticing, almost spiritual. It is when I actually sip some that my mouth trumps my nose- "I'm drinking weeds!" is my visceral reaction. I am able to drink tea with whiskey in it, although that kind of destroys the whole zen of the concept.

Perhaps, someday, I'll finally grow up and join the "tea party."

By Professor Batty


9 Comments:

Anonymous Niranjana (Brown Paper) said...

I don't care for the leafy taste of tea either, so I don't do green or black tea. But have you tried chai? with spices? I can't live without it.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

I just might try that- do you use demerara sugar?


Anonymous Niranjana said...

I make tea in a bastardized English way--I add a pinch of spice mix to the leaves before steeping it, and add milk and table sugar last. I suppose you could use demerara. I use v.little sugar though--half a tsp maybe. I can't stand the sugar soup they sell as chai latte...


Blogger oroboros said...

I drink Celestial Seasonings herbal tea every morning. I usually squeeze some fresh lemon in it since I use 32 oz. of water and only one teabag. Try their blueberry. My favorite.


Anonymous NormanLake said...

Back in the hippie daze, we would make "tea" from leftover marihuana stems, I did not care much for that weed tea, either. Did get a mild buzz from it though, so there WAS some redeeming value.


Anonymous Caroline said...

I love tea and coffee equally but I'm not fond of green tea. It must be black or herbal. I wouldn't go for whiskey in it but occasionally with rum is nice although it isn't zen but it sure is warming.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Green tea seems to go well with Japanese cuisine, definitely a zen thing going on there.


Blogger Heiða said...

my bassplayer is a tea-expert, and when you have attended one of his ceremonies tea will mean something quite different. He would tell you never to try to enjoy celestial seasonings or any other herbal tea, as it is not tea. On the other hand Pu'uer, or gaba or oolong are all a delicacy. Most of his teas he imports himself from China or Taiwan. Perhaps we can arrange a meeting with him next time you are in iceland...


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Heida ~ that would be sublime!

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023