Monday, April 11, 2011

Just What the World Needs...



... another blog! Devoted to Halldór Laxness!

My recent project has come to fruition, or is a least in the blossoming stage. Thanks to the generous contributions of a number of Laxness fans, there is now a single source for (almost) all things Laxness. I had noticed a recent uptick FITK has had in the number of visitors in visitors searching out Halldór Laxness references. Hopefully, these visits are a harbinger of a renewed interest in Iceland's only Noble Laureate. In the few days the new site has been up there has been a steady trickle of visitors from around the world, I hope this trend will continue. An additional impetus for this site was "link-rot", where older links have disappeared over time. Hopefully, this site will keep them available for many years to come.

Laxness in Translation has reviews and appreciations of all of Halldór's work that is available in an English translation. Anyone who has experienced the joy of reading Laxness is welcome to contribute their thoughts to the site.
In addition to personal reviews, thoughts on themes covered in Laxness' writing, personal anecdotes or news about new or newly discovered Laxness publications will all be welcome in this site.

While many of the things in Laxness in Translation have appeared here or in Rose's blog, there are some new things as well, including Silja Aðalsteinsdóttir's heartfelt appreciation of Salka Valka and Richard Bratby's in-depth essay on Iceland's Bell. There are also links to further reviews, along with related illustrations and photos, both new and vintage.

Those of you who are familiar with Halldór Laxness will no doubt find many things of interest, while those of you are not may find that Laxness in Translation is the portal to a wonderful new world.

By Professor Batty


9 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Wow, what an effort! Will be reading through all of this -- thanks for everyone's work.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

There will be some new things from time to time- I'm working a couple of new reviewers, and there will be more pictures as well.


Anonymous Niranjana (Brown Paper) said...

Bravo!


Anonymous Jon said...

Yippee!!


Anonymous Caroline said...

Great idea. Really. I did notice a lot of people looking for Laxness and finding my review on my blog. I think I will read the memoir I mentioned a while back, Í túninu heima, very soon. I'm glad now, I bought it second hand years ago. I think it is out of print in German.It does seem very good.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Caroline ~ The later Laxness works are a big mystery for me, some Icelandic readers have spoken highly of them.


Blogger Iceland Eyes said...

Hello, Professor! Excellent idea, the Laxness site. I'll be linking to it on Iceland Eyes : )


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Thanks, everyone! And if you are interested in Iceland be sure to check out Maria's blog- she's recently redone it- there is A TON of material. I've been a follower and a fan of Maria's for almost seven years now!


Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER! Boy Howdy, Batty, you've outdone yourself. This is the whole steamboat. I am proud to be a small part of it.

This inspires me to get moving on my project, with dovetails nicely with this. Week off for Easter, you'd think I'd have lot's of time, but alas, logs are calling.

Ditto your kudos for Maria's blog's evolution!

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023