Thursday, April 21, 2011

Maundy Thursday Edition


Last Supper, The Brick Testament

Maundy Thursday has never properly registered as a religious concept in my theological musings. I had been raised ELCA Lutheran (don't ask me what that means) and I don't recall ever "celebrating" the day. Maybe I was sick that week during confirmation. I had always thought it was something that the Roman Catholic Church invented in the middle ages. You can look it up yourself, in Wikipedia, but that may not help much toward a definitive answer either. The definition "Day of the Last Supper" will have to do for now.

In light of all this, I did think it serendipitous to find this card while I was out on my evening constitutional:



At least I've got that going for me.

Do you suppose JC helped with the dishes after supper?

By Professor Batty


8 Comments:

Anonymous Jon said...

Finished "Paradise Reclaimed" last week and sucked down Dan Brown's "Lost Symbol" over the last few days.
J.C. helping with the dishes put a big grin on my face. I was raised LCA Lutheran and don't know if that means anything anymore.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Are you up to writing a review of Paradise? That's one of the titles we're a little short on in Laxness in Translation.


Anonymous Jon said...

I could give it a try, especially if you would edit. I feel a bit inadequate about being able to write something meaningful.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Go for it- you can send it to the email address at the Laxness in Translation site. Don't worry to much about a plot summary- I'm more interested in personal impressions, especially in the context of related culture, there is no wrong approach.


Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

Yay, Jon--go for it!

Batty, you can come to St. James's for Maundy Thursday next year. You can get your feet washed by the priests while you listen to us sing. Surely worth the drive ...

If you drive home really fast maybe you can get your feet washed again in MN. They'll surely be stinky after the drive home.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Rose ~ for some reason, that sounds really perverted to me.


Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

Well, I honestly can't say, because from where I was in the choir loft I couldn't see, and I didn't have my feet washed.

Btw, the Brick Testament is quite a find. Seriously, I must have a copy. Totally awesome. The detail! The concept! The delight!


Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

Happy Easter, Mr. Batty. It's always a pleasure.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023