Monday, July 11, 2011

20

POP!

My teen-age late morning slumber was abruptly ended by a deluge from a water balloon.

"You can't sleep forever, silly. It's your birthday. C'mon. Get dressed. We're going on a picnic."

How my girlfriend managed to talk her way past my mother's objections ("You'd better not go up there- he sleeps in the raw you know.") I groggily opened my eyes. She held another water balloon six inches above my face.

"Ready? Not yet? Too late!"

POP!

"Haw haw haw."

"OK! OK! I'm getting up. Turn around while I get some pants on."

When we finally got under way, with my perplexed (but not really angry) mother waving goodbye, I really realized that I was no longer a teenager. How did I feel? About the same, a little wetter perhaps, but when Robin was happy the world was a good place. While driving to the park I was caught in a speed trap. The joy of the moment turned to panic. Robin was quiet, but the glint in her eyes told me that she thought the whole thing to be hilarious.

"Happy birthday!" said the cop as he handed me the ticket.

"Haw haw haw" laughed Robin.

Later that night Robin was still laughing. I wasn't laughing, but I was smiling.

By Professor Batty


8 Comments:

Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

Is today your birthday, Batty? I shouldn't have to ask ...


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Er, actually it isn't, but close enough.


Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

how close? Divulge the day. Or else.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Gulp! When a librarian uses that tone of voice I had better answer.

July 28.


Blogger oroboros said...

Huh! A day earlier and we'd be birthday twins! :o)


Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

Speaking of librarians, do I look like one or something? Today at a coffee shop, in a seemingly serious manner, a young man said, "do you mind if I ask you something?" "No; what is it?" "Who was Uncle Tom" "What exactly do you mean?" "I mean, when people talk about Uncle Tom, who are they referring to?"
I guess since he didn't have his computer handy, he figured I was a good google alternative?!


Anonymous Jon said...

Rose, you are a walking library! Batty, I think I am either 2 days older than you or 363 younger.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Rose ~ you could get a Google home page T-shirt.

oroboros and Jon ~ What is the number of a man's days? Me and Job are still looking for an answer.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023