Monday, July 09, 2012

Ghost World


Minneapolis, 1976

Living on your own, without a family or significant other, can be liberating—but it has a price. Having a shared set of experiences makes them seem more real. The interior monolog is a phantasy existence. It is a place where memory's constructs are free from any checks or balances; distortions are inevitable.

Looking back on the memories of my years spent "wandering in the wilderness", I am struck at how ephemeral they seem, more so than those of my childhood or teen years. As my current friends drift away or die, it may be that someday I will once again inhabit a "ghost world" of solitude.

By Professor Batty


2 Comments:

Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

Once you are conscious of it, and you no longer seek the solitary life, I doubt it will happen again.

There was that guy they wrote the book about, and then the movie: "Into the Wild", Christopher McCandless, who finally decided, writing in his journal, that sharing your experiences with others gives them meaning. What a terribly sad thing to write just before you die all alone in the wilderness.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

My trips to Iceland are a short revisiting of the solitary life, although I usually end up meeting and interacting with people anyway.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023