Saturday, October 06, 2012

Paradise Regained and Lost Again

Friday was an absolutely perfect day for a bike ride. Warm in the sun, cool in the shade, very little wind. I'd thought I'd take the 30km ride to Gljúfrasteinn, the preserved home of Nobel Prize winning writer, Halldór Laxness. Getting out of town is a bit tricky on a bicycle, but it did contain  some spectacular views from the bike path:


Hamrahlið, Near Reykjavík

The Laxness home was modest and very Scandinavian, almost to the point of being severe:


Gljúfrasteinn

The guide was familiar with the Laxness in Translation Site and we talked a great deal about Laxness and his work. The inside is exactly as it was when Laxness lived there; I was even given a special glimpse of the kitchen. I managed to sneak this pic of the master's study:


HKL's study, Gljúfrasteinn

The trip back held many photogenic vistas:


Near Gljúfrasteinn

I did manage to get hopelessly confused as to which path I should take (I took a different route on my return trip) but was finally straightened out with the help of this Viking compass:


Somewhere near Mosfellbaer

After I finally managed to drag myself back to the apartment, I ate dinner then went to the pool.

For some reason, the hot tub felt especially good tonight.

By Professor Batty


4 Comments:

Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

I think the Church in your picture might have been the one from that bread story,let's see...


Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

Bread of Life


Blogger Jono said...

Are you becoming proficient at reading runes?


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Daren~ That church is visible from the balcony, I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Jono~ maybe, I was completely lost until I found this rune (and the big map which was above it.)

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023