Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Two Women in the Dark



   As I was setting up my gear in a dark area of the park I became aware of two young women in the shadows. One spoke with what I took to be a French accent, the other spoke American English. We were there for the same reason.  The stillness of the air and the cloaking effect of the darkness made voices seem as if they originated within my head: words became thoughts, without no visual cue of a speaking mouth the effect was a bit eerie. In the sky above us there had been hints of something coming for several minutes now. Things of this nature one can never be sure of,  but we were ready:



    I was looking through the trees to the northeast when it began. I spoke my thoughts: "Here it comes!" The women turned; the one with the accent let out a little yip of delight  and then we stood still, overwhelmed:



   The French woman began to croon, "Oooh! Oooh! I luff Iceland, I luff Iceland!"

   She laughed and hugged her friend.

   And then we all laughed.

By Professor Batty


2 Comments:

Blogger Jono said...

Looks like the aurora easily trumped the city lights.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

I'm still a little giddy...

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023