Sunday, June 23, 2013

White Shoulders


An old lady perfume? Very distinctive, almost cloying, don’t wear this when committing a crime, they’ll know it was you.

The power of fragrance is primal, it can be almost overwhelming in its ability to elicit memories and emotion. A former lover wore it, almost as if to say, “Sniff this and always remember me.” It worked. Years later, a co-worker would wear it on occasion. She learned of my experience with it and after she left that job she would occasionally send me an envelope, with only a scented tissue in it.

It seems that most modern scents are more complex, with different notes coming to the fore and then receding. Some, especially deodorants, are just plain bizarre. The internet hasn’t yet embraced “odorama”, there have been a few crude "scent players" marketed but they are more in the line of room fresheners (another strange realm). I could appreciate a few subtle nature aromas if I was reading about exotic places but most of the modern world is either neutral or offensive in its olfactory presentation. Nevertheless, I will always have “White Shoulders” to take me away, sometimes most unexpectedly, to a special place in my memory. What is your nose’s most cherished association?



First posted November 2004
Summer re-run series

By Professor Batty


3 Comments:

Blogger oroboros said...

I've always loved the musky odor of the Jacaranda tree. Also Scotch Broom and Alyssum blossoms which grow wild in my area. And then there's the bouquet of a good white or red wine...yum!


Blogger Mary said...

I remember that boys in high school wore English Leather after shave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SAOpPXwYkrs

Of course patchouli takes me back to the 1960's.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

I wore English Leather as well, with my hopsack pants and Madras Shirt I was a legend in my own mind.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023