Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Common Law Wife

   In another lifetime I was in what used to be called a "common-law marriage." What the heck- we were young, shared some interests, and both needed to get out of our existing family situations. Some things about it were good: cheap rent, no TV (not even a telephone for a couple of years!) and similar senses of humor. The problem that emerged after a while was lack of growth in the personal relationship department (i.e. sex.) I tried to make a go of it, but after a while (four years!) it was pretty apparent that it was not to be. She was fairly comfortable with this living arrangement. I was miserable. I found a lover. She still stayed. Finally I insisted that we split, she moved out, and we both moved on.

   Later I heard that she had "changed sides" in her sexual orientation. I HAD MADE HER INTO A LESBIAN! Well, maybe not. I never had that effect on anyone else before or since; I think she just hadn't thought about it when she "shacked up" with me. Is lesbianism the trend of the future? I think that a lot of women who would have been inhibited in a different era will be more open to the opportunity. Conversely, if you aren't "wired" that way, I don't think anything will change your perspective. The dynamic in men is somewhat different, I suppose. In this, as in many things, men are more polarized and volatile. Still, regardless of what orientation you opt for, you have to enjoy some kind of relationship with another person. I won't even comment on multiple partners or "open" arrangements. That issue is almost beyond discussion. People get into relationships to fulfill human needs. If it works, it's good. If it doesn't work, it's not good. What is bad is not being honest with yourself - life is too short to spend years in pointless frustration.



Summer Rerun Series
First posted December 18, 2004

By Professor Batty


3 Comments:

Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

I had a female friend whose boyfriend later went on to have a sex change and become a woman. I'm not sure what the moral is, except that I wouldn't take the lesbian thing personally. Maybe she was just waiting for the right girl to come along.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

It didn't bother me, although she could have been more up front about it and saved us both a lot of trouble.


Blogger Jono said...

To my way of thinking there can only be one explanation. Most women are lesbians. Any heterosexual woman that met guys like us would not be able to stay away. It doesn't get any better than us, so most women MUST be lesbians. Am I right? Please tell me that I am right!

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023