Saturday, September 28, 2013

Iceland's Fall

   When Autumn rolls around my thoughts turn to Iceland. I've been there in October three times, I was blessed with glorious weather each time. I've been there in March and April as well but the fall offers more in the way of cultural events. On the last visit (October 2012) I noticed that the tourist season has expanded from previous years with many more non-natives strolling the streets but nevertheless it was not really crowded. I offer you the following glimpses of Reykjavík in October—no theme; just little scenes from my memory:


Film crew, Fríkirkjan, Reykjavík, 2012

   The church near where I stayed was the site of a two day film shoot, the crew had put diffusers on all the windows, then lit them so the lighting would be consistent. I spoke with one of the actors, asking if they were going to shoot all night. He said no, although I noticed that they did remain until well after dark.



School children, Seltjarnarnes, 2012

   This group of teens were studying life in the tide flats. Seltjarnarnes is the peninsula area west of Reyjavík proper.



Row houses, Seltjarnarnes, 2012

The modern architecture in Iceland is somewhat severe but not, to my eye at least, unattractive.



Young people, Reykjavík, 2012

There is a secondary school in downtown Reykjavík; in the afternoon the young people flood the streets in the old town.



Street vendors, Reykjavík, 2012

Even though the temperature is usually cool (40-50 degrees Fahrenheit) there are often women knitting on the sidewalks, offering their goods for sale.

By Professor Batty


4 Comments:

Blogger Jono said...

I was in the early stages of planning the next trip to Iceland as I couldn't fit it in this year. I think September would be great. Not late enough for Iceland Airwaves, but after the bulk of other tourists are gone.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

The weather's always a crapshoot, I've been unbelievably lucky, your mileage may vary!


Blogger Mary said...

I really wanted to go to Airwaves this year, but it isn't going to happen. These pictures make me miss Iceland a lot!

Weather? Just pack a raincoat with a zip out lining and sally forth!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Yes it will be a while before I make it back, 2015, perhaps?

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023