Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Mistaken Identity



   My other blog, the Laxness in Translation site, received a hit from a Goodreads review the other day. The link in the reviews comments was the the Laxness site, but it had an ".ie" suffix instead of a ".com"; the commenter said it must be located in Ireland. I checked the link myself and also tried it with other European suffixes. Sure enough, there was a French, German, and Danish version as well. Once I got to the site's homepage the site's internal links worked normally.

   A little research found the answer. Apparently, Blogspot (Google) is now making country specific domains for all its sites in order to allow individual countries to shut down any potential offenders. I tried it with FITK; it worked the same way.

  Who could have foreseen that my simple blog would become subject to international scrutiny?

By Professor Batty


1 Comments:

Blogger Jono said...

Google is just doing its part per the agreement with the NSA. I think Snowden knew about the Irish connection. ;)

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023