Monday, September 16, 2013

Obscurity


Mr. Mark and Phil Kitze, Half Time Rec, Saint Paul, Minnesota

   I caught a performance of Mr. Mark (my guitar repair guru) playing in a blues/rock band last weekend. He plays bass, on upright or on a solid body electric. His bass guitar of choice is a Micro-Frets™ Signature, a very rare bird from the early 70's, probably no more than a couple hundred were made. Micro-Frets guitars had many advanced features which was probably the reason why the brand didn't survive—guitarists are a very conservative group when it comes to their instruments. There has been talk of resurrecting the company for years but with the industry in a downturn and with the world awash in cheap guitars made from standardized parts I see little chance of that happening.

   Mark loves his (he has two!) and wouldn't trade them for the world.

By Professor Batty


2 Comments:

Blogger Jono said...

I love unusual and vintage guitars. The only one I have is a Framus 12 string I got new in '66. It has the set neck, not the bolt on, and a traditional bridge. It has an amazing (to me) sound. I would like to hear and play your frankenbattys someday.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

If you're ever passing through Anoka, look me up, we could visit Mr. Mark as well.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023