Monday, December 02, 2013

Cyber Monday Madness

   I've been looking for a new laptop. Not real serious-like, but it would be nice to have something better for working with images- more memory, a better screen and a bigger and faster SSD. The kicker is that my 6+ year-old laptop still functions, and thanks to upgrades, it works even better now than it did when it was new. I had zeroed in on a MacBook Pro with the "retina display", 8GB of RAM, and at least a 512GB Drive. Total cost = $1800. Ouch.

   So, yesterday I was reading the Sunday paper (I know, "how quaint", but the paper pays for itself in coupons.) In the Best Buy flyer there was a page of "Cyber Monday Specials" -prices good only good on Monday, there was a MacBook pro shown with no price. "It's probably just $50 off, with a gift card or something" I thought. This morning, just for fun, I went to the Best Buy web site and there it was:



   Oh boy. $200 bucks off on a computer that almost never goes on sale. I wasted the rest of the morning vacillating over this extravagant purchase. It would be a GREAT major Christmas present, but at our family that amount of money equals about TEN major Christmas presents.  The way things work around here my Christmas options are either the MacBook Pro or socks.

   I'm writing this at 5:30 P.M. I'll be dithering about this for the next 6 and a half hours.

UPDATE: Socks win!

NEW UPDATE: Computer wins! (I found a similar model for MUCH LESS!)

By Professor Batty


5 Comments:

Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

We ended up buying a mac mini, a much cheaper sort of thing - and a cheap TV for a monitor (a mac mini has no monitor). So. Our computer was actually broken. We were using an external hard drive, which made it super slow, because everything had to travel out that wire to the external hard drive, and back again. It was my time to practice zen patience, using the computer for my art collages. So far, the mac mini is working much faster than the old computer! The mac mini was $630. (With the sale at Best Buy.) Still a lot more than socks!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

I've looked at the mini as well, I've already got a display, I'd need the portability of a laptop however…


Blogger Jono said...

A win win situation! Socks are always a winner in this climate, though.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

I can make it through another winter with my current sock collection, but my old MacBook is lookin' pretty grungy. New socks wouldn't help me go faster, but the new laptop sure will.


Anonymous I'd Rather Be In Iceland said...

New gadgets are exciting. I'm currently looking at changing my mobile phone. Enjoy your new toy!

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023