Monday, December 29, 2014

Ethnic Food and the Meaning of Life



Christmas brings out the Scandinavian in me; I've gotta have my Lefse and pickled herring. The Lingonberries (insert The Big Lebowski reference here) are a staple year 'round but the other two are reserved for holiday occasions. I was unaware of Lefse until my late teen years when a friend had the bright idea of a lefse-making party as sort of a Norwegian mixer.  Do Young Adults today even cook at all anymore? Much more engaging than swiping right.

This year we hosted the family Christmas party for my relatives, I’m the paterfamilias, and with my older sister living in the Caribbean, I found myself in the position of the family elder present-hander-outer (no kids this year) and maker of the Sacred Christmas Sugar Cookies. Having no little kids in attendance meant that we could play Cards Against Humanity (link is NSFW). The true spirit of Christmas?

To celebrate Boxing Day the Weaver and I needed a respite from all those Christmas shenanigans so we watched a movie that would uplift our spirits and elevate our intellects:  Monty Python's Meaning of Life.  And is there a better person to spend a romantic evening with than Mr. Creosote?  To be fair, the film did end with a big musical production number of Christmas in Heaven.

I hope you had a Christmas as joyous as mine.

By Professor Batty


4 Comments:

Blogger Jono said...

I should have heeded your NSFW when I looked at the Cards Against Humanity link. I think my laughter may have been noticed by my co-workers and some customers. Other than the Sacred Sugar Cookies that was about the most irreverent look at Christmas I have been exposed to this year. I'm still giggling!


Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

Yes, what Jono said. And also: Young adults have cooking parties. I went to one two weeks ago. I was the oldest person there by ten years. We made pizza and chocolate chip cookies, and while I was out getting something in my car, the oven caught fire. I came back in to a smoke filled house and a bunch of guilty looking young adults. But, yes, cooking parties! It still is a thing. And a happy new year.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Jono ~ I hope my posts don't get you fired!

SLM ~ Thank goodness! I don't know any young people who can cook.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a Happy New Year, Uncle. My wife is a great cook.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023