Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Wanda Gág Day!

It’s that time of year again, the day to celebrate the birth of Wanda Gág: artist, writer, translator and free-spirited inspiration.

Yesterday I returned to her archives at the University of Minnesota where I finally was able to see the files which had been unavailable on my previous visits. There was a ton of material, including drawings, leftist magazines and numerous photographs.

First up is a panel from “Wanda in Wonderland”, a short-lived syndicated newspaper activity page for children (circa 1925):



Then I found this exquisite detail on a ‘puzzle box’ that Wanda had designed; the area pictured below was only about 3 inches wide:



There was a 1918 glimpse of a young Wanda exploring a new “look” on the rooftop of her New York apartment, she hadn’t yet committed to her signature hairstyle:


                                            Wanda Gág                           Lucile Lundquist

The next picture shows a different side of a much older Wanda, enjoying the company of fellow printmaking heavyweights (note that she’s sitting between two of her lovers), at a Rockwell Kent retrospective in 1939:


                  Rockwell Kent                         Carl Zigrosser                 Wanda Gág                   Adolph Dehn

Happy 122nd Birthday Wanda!



Photographs by Robert Janssen, excepting rooftop image

More on Wanda here…

UPDATE: Check out today’s installment from Brain Pickings, it’s not a coincidence…

By Professor Batty


2 Comments:

Blogger Jono said...

She doesn't look a day over 25. Happy Wanda's birthday Batty!


Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

It's so cool to see a picture of "Mr. Dehn" who "just doesn't look like an Adolph."

Before seeing this, I wrote a post about Wanda Gag- scheduled for tomorrow. I came over here intending to link to one of your old posts about her, and look what I find! Uncanny. And I noticed Brainpickings, too! I've been out of it, doing final edits on my book, and the second I look up, I find everyone is thinking just what I'm thinking. I have about twenty pages left in Growing Pains. I don't want to finish it!

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023