Monday, May 25, 2015

Adventures in Marketing



   This screenshot is from the Amazon Warehouse site. A cute little camera. It is about the size of a deck of cards and weighs less than a pound—a perfect size for my feeble constitution. I've had my eye on this little gem for quite a while, for it will accept (with adapters) lenses from almost any other interchangeable lens camera—SLR, CCTV or even 8mm movie. I’ve got at least a dozen that it will accept.

   Amazon’s pricing algorithms have always been inscrutable trade secrets. This item was no exception. When I first started to price this outfit it ran from about $400 to $600. The Amazon site had a couple which were new but with damaged packaging for about $260, quite a discount! I kept watching the site, and the price would go up and down every day or so. Finally, last Wednesday evening, the price sank to $247. I went for it. Since then the price of the remaining kit has inched steadily upward, as of Sunday it’s nearly $300.


   UPDATE: As of Monday it’s priced at $302.31!

   I don’t understand this marketing plan, but I’ll take the deal I got Wednesday.

   NEW UPDATE: As of Tuesday it’s priced at $317.42!!

   I really don't understand anything anymore.

   NEWER UPDATE: $325.11 as of Wednesday morning!!!

   NEWEST UPDATE: $333.84 as of Wednesday evening!!!!

   NEW NEWEST UPDATE: $340.53 Thursday A.M.!!!!!

   NEWEST NEWEST UPDATE: $357.56  Thursday P.M.!!!!!!

   FRIDAY P.M.: $358.00 (I think it’s peaking!)


By Professor Batty


4 Comments:

Blogger Jono said...

Always thought those were pretty cool.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

I've got some C mount lenses I'm going to try on it, as well as my SMCs.


Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

It's like the commodities market!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

It did peak at $358, it’s on it’s way down.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023