Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Darkroom


1142 North Fifth Street, Minneapolis, c.1972

   My old darkroom, in the attic of an non-insulated house, was usable only at certain times of the year. Hardly high-tech, even for that time. Still, it offered me a place to experiment, to escape from my squalid existence for a few hours. Woefully short on cash, I "made do or did without" (geezer talk.) I've still got most of the negatives (AKA The Flippist Archives), but very few of the prints and none of the gear. There are a few die-hards with wet darkrooms who still suffer with stinky chemicals and clunky equipment.

I don't miss it at all.

A North Fifth Street Story

By Professor Batty


2 Comments:

Blogger Jono said...

I'm guessing that house isn't even there any more. I was at the edge of putting a darkroom together, but it just never happened.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Yes, that place is long gone. $80 a month, 6 small rooms and the attic. About as cheap a place as you could get. I lived there six years, and various friends of mine lived there for another fourteen years. It gave all of us a start in life.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023