Monday, May 02, 2016

Mondays in Iceland - #60

I recently mentioned that I had been in communication with New York Times writer Dan Kois about swimming pool culture in Iceland. His story has been published, and it is great. So many of the stories I read about Iceland are full of baloney but he actually did research and it shows (I steered him toward Alda Sigmundsdóttir, who knows these things.)

Another Iceland story comes to me from Karen Heathwood, mastermind of the Sharon Spotbottom character that brightened this blog for several years. Karen hails from "down-under" and she sent me a link to a great two-part story on Australian radio about The Sagas and one man's personal saga. Part one is here. Part two is here. I'm usually allergic to podcasts, but this one is exceptional.  And if that wasn't enough, Karen sent me this Berserker-Sharon:

By Professor Batty


2 Comments:

Blogger Jono said...

Wasn't it Alda's husband, EPI, whose grandfather was very instrumental in the building of the swimming program and pools? I remember something like that.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

That's exactly right, I think she wrote about it on one of her old IWR posts. Dan mentioned him in his follow up email to me.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023