Wednesday, July 27, 2016

The Love of an Adolescent

I come to you with my new love,
It is a great, arched love, increasing upon itself.
I hate that love at times,
It springs from the unwilling need of me
And fills me with a wretched, helpless richness.

My hair is drenched with it,
It hangs like flames on my lips and eyelids.
Its fumes break forth,
From all the curves and lengths of me
And burn with dreadful splendor.

I dare not love you with all this,
And so it faints each night.
Each dawn it renews its birth,
I spread it out with all its folds about me
And gather it to myself at night, without you.

~Wanda Gág, November 12, 1921


Adolf Dehn and Wanda Gág, c. 1916

By Professor Batty


2 Comments:

Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

My heart is aching!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

I found this in a letter from Wanda in the Dehn archives, I've seen it referred to elsewhere but I don't think it was ever published. It was hand-written, I may have mis-read a word or two, and I did do a little work on the line breaks and paragraphs.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023