Monday, November 20, 2017

Pub Fare


Merlin’s Rest Pub, Minneapolis

Traditional Irish pubs are to be found in almost any American city of any significant size. They offer, to varying degrees, the libations and comestibles found in their overseas counterparts. I’ve had limited experience in the UK with British pubs, including Yorkshire Puddings in both London and Cornwall. The Minnesota version I had last Saturday night paled in comparison. Instead of a fluffy and delightful pudding (actually more of a savory pastry) what I got what was, basically, tough bread. The chopped steak was tasty, while hint of vinegar in its mushroom sauce struck me as authentic, it had the overtones of being some sort of penance. The big surprise was the veg: broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, all fresh and perfectly cooked. I don't think you’d find that too often in an old world pub.

The pub I ate at also had a good assortment of Irish beer and ales on tap. I don't know how well they travel, but I've had several different ones and I’ve found them all lacking. I think I may have been spoiled by all the tremendous local craft brews I've had: here in Minnesota, as well as Washington State and Wisconsin. Have we surpassed the old world in this? I suspect so, and the tradition-bound brews from Ireland and the UK aren’t likely to change—they are stuck in what is truly “the old world“ of traditional pub fare.

By Professor Batty


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023