Wednesday, May 23, 2018

1964 Alamo Fiesta



My first electric guitar, bought with $27 worth of my paper route money. It had a laminated body and was hollow inside, with a very minimal set of features. Mine was a sunburst. It was playable and it actually made it to a few “gigs” where it performed adequately. The pickup was fairly weak so I replaced it with one from a salvaged Harmony H62. This guitar was traded in on a Vox Stroller. I probably should have some affection for this but, after the initial excitement wore off, I realized it was pretty mediocre. It played its share of surf songs.  Interestingly enough, when I went shopping to buy a guitar with my father, we looked at a Gibson Lap Steel (very cool, but not a regular guitar that I could play) and a couple of Danelectros, either of which would be worth something today. I have seen single pickup Fiestas on eBay listed with an extremely optimistic $600 ‘buy it now’ price.

YouTube video:

 

By Professor Batty


4 Comments:

Blogger Jono said...

I love optimistic eBay prices. I get a few laughs, but once in a while they get the last laugh. There are a lot of interesting old guitars out there and, as you know, they can be pretty good with a few modifications.


Blogger oroboros said...

Howdy, Prof. Nathan Daniel's son, Howard, is married to my cousin, Sandra. You'll find some writings re Danelectro at his *very* interesting website Pen 4 Rent.

http://pen4rent.com/category/danelectro/


Blogger oroboros said...

If you contact him, tell him Tom Kelley sent you.....


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Jono ~ I've read that some of the more outrageous items are money-laundering scams.

Oro ~ I liked the story about his father trying to get a $1000 loan and the bank would only take $1000 cash in collateral!

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023