Monday, June 04, 2018

Watch This Space


Ming Thein 17.03 GMT

The old Timex Forester I had worn for twenty years had given up the ghost. It was a cheap watch to begin with and I never liked it. I should rephrase that. I had the Timex for twenty years, but I seldom wore a timepiece. But I have found a watch to be essential in my world travels—sometimes you just have to be at a certain place at a certain moment. I thought about the Apple Watch, a fabulous thing to be sure, but much too much for me. The Ming Thein watches shown above are considered “affordable” in the classic watch world, but not in mine. I find it interesting that they are priced almost exactly the same as the latest top of the line ceramic Apple Watch: $1300.

Leaving the world of luxury watches aside, I began to prowl the almost infinite offerings from Amazon and eBay. A much cheaper (and funkier) option was an Indian HMT, a 17 jewel mechanical watch. It was still being made, by hand, up until a few years ago. A mainstay of Indian police, military and railroad workers for half a century, they came in a variety of styles and colors; refurbished models are about $18.



I eventually got this one:
I also bought this Tonnier “Naviforce”, a brand-new military style timepiece, for less than $10 new, it came directly from China:



It was too bulky so I finally sprang for this sleek Danish design ($70):



Scandinavian enough for my Iceland trip although, if I really wanted to go all out, there is a watch manufacturer in Reykjavík:

By Professor Batty


5 Comments:

Blogger oroboros said...

If you're interested, Prof, here's a watch that was the cat's meow in my globe-trotting USAF days: https://www.amazon.com/Glycine-Airman-Sphair-Automatic-3928-191/dp/B016ZSZQX6?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=ad-backfill-s-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B016ZSZQX6

Still own it but the date function is in-op and parts are hard to come by I'm told by my local watch experts. Mostly lives in the jewelry drawer these days. My Fitbit is the primary time resource. :)

Inner dial was set on GMT and outer dial can be set to local time zone....which changed constantly on transport missions. Very convenient.....


Blogger oroboros said...

Watch is the Glycine Airman in case the link address is bad. Just Google it...


Blogger Professor Batty said...

I was looking for a 2400 hours dial, the Glycine is a little above my price range, however…


Blogger Jono said...

$1300 is not affordable in my world, either. I have drooled at the watch shop in Reykjavik, but affordability is the issue again. I have a Timex that works just fine when I need to wear one. Those Indian watches look interesting, though.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

The HMTs are supposed to be OK for a hand-wound watch, eBay has millions of them in hundreds of styles.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023