Friday, July 27, 2018

Gibson ES-175



I bought this guitar to assuage the heartbreak from a failed relationship, never the best reason for purchasing an instrument and I quickly regretted this decision. This guitar had a hump in the fret-board around the 14th fret (a recurring theme in my guitar history) and I mistakenly opted to have the frets dressed rather than pulled and having the fret-board planed down. It also had the mediocre tuners which Gibson has always been noted for. I added another pickup (from the National Bolero), but was still dissatisfied. I ending up selling to a friend at a loss.

Years later I would get a cheap Ibanez Artcore, it was twice the guitar at a tenth of the price of a ES-175. There are many fine examples of this instrument but I got a lemon.

Live and learn.

A very nice YouTube video:

By Professor Batty


4 Comments:

Blogger jono said...

Only you could buy one of those and have it turn out to be a lemon. They are beauties in general.


Blogger oroboros said...

Wondering if you could have returned it to Gibson for the fix?


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Oro~ let's just say that this guitar had a "shady" provenance.


Blogger oroboros said...

Ah! 'Nuff said...😎

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023