Friday, February 22, 2019

Small Fry

All those stringed "little guys" who, like stray cats, have crept into my life. First up: This English "Melody-Uke", probably from the 1920s:



In the UK George Formby kept the interest in this now nearly obsolete instrument going well into the 1940s:



The modern Oscar Schmidt Uke (model OU-3, below) is mostly show and little go. mother-of-pearl binding and a slick poly finish doesn't make up for the fact that the bridge was in the wrong place and it is cheaply constructed. I reset the bridge, making it somewhat better. Like the Banjo-uke above, I tuned it ADGB, akin to the middle four strings of a guitar:



Here is the real runt of the litter, a cheap no-name uke (in standard uke tuning) that my son left here. The pegs wouldn't hold tune until I put washers next to the neck. No fun at all:



Finally, this true antique, a bowl back mandolin from the early 20th century. An un-branded thrift-store special. I tuned it ADGB like the middle four strings of a guitar:



Despite the separation on the back, it plays and sounds good.  I may fix that someday if I ever get the nerve:

By Professor Batty


2 Comments:

Blogger jono said...

When Herman's Hermits covered Leaning on the Lamp Post they sounded just like Mr. Formby! I'll bet you could do a serviceable repair on that mandolin. Maybe talk to a few luthiers about it.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

That mandolin is pretty low on my priority list.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023