Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Epiphone Sheraton II



Another entry in my irregular guitar series.

This is an 80s or early 90s Korean (probably made by Samick) Epiphone. A very handsome guitar in a tobacco sunburst finish. I kept it stock and used it quite a bit when my old high school band reformed to play our 30th reunion in 1998. It is the classic 335 design with some eye candy and a thick poly finish. I paid $350 for it in 1995. No issues. I did eventually sell it, I think what I really wanted at the time was a vintage 1959 Gibson ES-355TDC (there is a difference!) but with a $10,000 price differential that is not gonna happen in my lifetime. As the Gibson 335s get more and more expensive, I notice that many national acts have been using these Epiphones, usually in a Natural, Ebony, or Sunburst finish. This general body style is one of the classic “big four” from the fifties: Tele, Strat, LP, and 335. There’s a reason they've never gone out of style.

Here's a really tasty YouTube video of a Sheraton II by a guy who knows how to make the most from this really great affordable guitar:

By Professor Batty


1 Comments:

Blogger jono said...

Way back in the 60s I had a shirttail cousin who played a 335 in cherry, with a Varitone switch and gold plated everything. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen! And he played very well. When I last saw him, about 12 years ago, he was still playing regular club gigs down in central Florida. I asked him about that guitar and he said he wished he still had it. Unfortunately, he died a couple of years ago, but he was a great guy and I always admired his talent.
The epiphone is a nice replica of that style.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023