Friday, February 26, 2021

In Situ - #1

This is the first of a series of posts featuring masterpieces from the Flippist World Headquarters™ collection of objet d' art.

Vases, marked “BN” (left) and “Tama” stamped “Prairie Fire” (right):
Raku vessels, both marked and stamped “Paul Epple” dated ’98 (left) and “2002” (right):
Vessels, marked “Douglas 9/2/43” (left) and “T. Charley Diné 2001” (right):
I have an affinity for these humble hand-made artifacts. The hands of the potter are revealed in the forms, and the mind of the artist in the decoration. With the exception of the Diné piece, all have an element of randomness that I find appealing in some ineffable way. The Diné vessel has a different appeal, that of the artist trying to impose geometric order in the clay.

I’ve been thinking a lot about my “collections” lately. If the Covid pandemic finally becomes controlled, I may have a sale of my prints and other miscellany this summer, or perhaps in the summer of 2022. It really isn’t about the money, I would consider it a success if only a handful of people really got something meaningful out of it. The guitar sale I had in 2019 was much a social event as it was a commercial one, this would be even more so, I suspect.

I’m not overly attached to anything I own, but I suspect the disbursement of these pieces will have to wait for my final estate sale in… oh say maybe 2040, perhaps?

By Professor Batty


2 Comments:

Blogger jono said...

With luck I'll make it to 2040. If I do I'll try to check out your estate sale.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

That date is sort of a planning milestone for us, anything beyond that is a bonus.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023