Monday, June 07, 2021

Matchbook Masterpieces - I

I've been scouring eBay ads for old matchbook covers. Not that I have any great desire to amass a collection (or to start a fire) but, rather, I savor the little masterworks of design art contained on them. First up is this trio, each displaying a nice usage of line:
One of this next pair has some personal resonance with me, The Anglesey has been discussed here before. The right one is for the legendary Minneapolis restaurant. Charlie’s ego was truly exceptionale; he was the only owner portrayed on any of the matchbooks:
Not all of the art is elegant, some is downright crude, but these kitschy kuties possess a certain perverse charm:
It is impossible to miss the charms of these ladies of the evening. It makes me wonder what was on the menu of those restaurants:
More on Wednesday…

By Professor Batty


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023