Friday, December 03, 2021

Shedding the Past

Dreams can be useful, many times I’ve had a problem that I solved in a dream.

Some dreams, however, are re-hashes of issues that are long gone. I have recurring dreams about the place I lived when I was in my twenties and early thirties. I lived in a small house for several years, and then the landlord moved out of his bigger house next-door and offered me the chance to rent it. That house came with an outbuilding: a ”garage” that had probably  once been a stable. It had been added on to in the front to make it deep enough to hold a car, but that part was falling in (see above.) It was full of junk—all of it worthless.

Ultimately, when the kids were big enough to play in the yard, I tore both sheds down; they were definitely a hazard. They still exist in a way; my dreams revisit them from time to time, and I have some pictures of them, especially the bigger one. It made a funky backdrop for promotional pictures of the band I was working with at the time. I could probably sell that weathered wood now for interior decorations or picture frames.

I got rid of that physical junk once. It would be nice to get rid of the mental junk as well.


A North Fifth Street Story.

By Professor Batty


2 Comments:

Anonymous BobTheScientist said...

Although the trouser-cuffs are 50 years all wrong, the photo reminds me of two Nobel Prize winners McClintock and Beadle hangin' out because someone has a camera:
https://dnalc.cshl.edu/view/16670-Gallery-32-Barbara-McClintock-1929.html


Blogger Professor Batty said...

The classic "perp" shot.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023