Saturday, May 21, 2022

Summer Suit

This is a FITK re-post

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Digging through my old clothes, filling a bag for the thrift store, I came upon my summer suit. A real beauty: imported fabric, cream-white with pinstripes, perfectly tailored for me or, rather, the man I was twenty-five years ago. I last wore it at my 30th class reunion, I had to lose twenty pounds to get into it then and it was still plenty tight.

It remains a very nice suit, it’s a luxury to have a suit that isn’t a business black or blue or a frumpy brown. I should have taken it to Hawaii. And left those pounds home.

In a sense, old clothes can become ghosts; hovering above the floor, hanging around in attics and closets, always there to silently remind you of what you once were. Sometimes they can be downright scary. Maybe I'll lose that weight, wear that suit again, and start calling myself Professor Dandy as I hit the town. Or maybe I'll exorcise that demon by letting someone else have that summer suit.

1 Comment:

Chris Fox said…

I’d wear that suit with a nice light blue t-shirt underneath, roll the sleeves and pretend you’re Don Johnson.

Weren’t 80s fashions fun!

By Professor Batty


1 Comments:

Blogger Professor Batty said...

WITH the way I’m shrinking I might be able to fit into that again, if I hadn’t gotten rid of it.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023