Sunday, September 10, 2023

Reunion

I attended my high school 55th reunion last night.

It was a relatively low-key affair, no rock bands or AV presentations. I made it a point to talk with people that I only knew slightly (or not at all) in high school. At dinner I sat next to one of my grade school crushes, she was as appealing as ever and seemed to enjoy my company. As the night went on, I roamed the tables, went outside to the smoky fire-pit, and even chatted up the bartender a bit. After the bar closed eight of us regrouped in the lobby and continued our discussions, catching up on news of those who were not there (Covid isolation, health issues), and speculating on why others didn’t come, or had never come. Lots of widows and widowers; a few had spouses with dementia. There was a Junior Chamber International convention in the same hotel, they were a much younger crowd but I thought we looked OK in comparison, despite the ravages of time.
This morning those of us who had stayed in the hotel overnight met again for breakfast/brunch. More talk, everybody was pleased with the night before, and we left the door open for a 60th reunion.

That will be a smaller group, I’m sure.

By Professor Batty


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2024