Monday, October 30, 2023

Making the Scene

I attended an unusual concert last night.

Look at the Music! at the Tjarnarbíó theatre delivered a powerful set of choral music set to complement Sign Language. This was part of a year-long international project involving hearing and deaf artists with poetry in Icelandic Sign Language (ITM). I had never been in Tjarnarbíó before, it was a restored old cinema, seating about 250, a gem of a venue:
The 45 minute show was excellent; the music complemented the signing perfectly. There was even a “sing-along/sign-along” at the end. And there were balloons(?) Beforehand I hob-nobbed with the cultural elite over a bottle of Apelsin, a uniquely Icelandic orangey beverage that I have every time I’m here. It’s awful (shown on the table in the foreground) but I’m weak—I need it.
Tomorrow: More art.

By Professor Batty


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2024