Monday, October 07, 2024

Adventures in Fine Woodworking

Two recent projects of Professor Batty’s via the Flippist Home Workshop:
The table pictured above was a Craigslist find.

The woman who owned it had a garage full projects she had given up on, and she needed the space in her garage to store her car in the upcoming winter. It had some ‘issues.’ It had the usual problems that most old furniture seems to acquire: A broken leg, a ruined table top (made of warped t&g oak - almost impossible to rejoin); and a murky and mottled dark finish that may have been over-coated at some point in the past.

I completely disassembled the piece, glued, sanded and refinished where necessary. The top was replaced with a similar oak piece that I had found on a Craigslist ‘free’ ad. That item had been a dining table which had been chopped down to make a very large and awkward coffee table. I took off half of the top and it matched the table exactly: wood, color and size. When I had finished it I sent a pic of the completed project to the woman I had bought it from and she replied:
That looks FANTASTIC! The wood is absolutely beautiful. I never considered putting a different top on it, but that was clearly the right option for this table. Excellent work, I'm so glad you found it and decided to give the little table another chance at life. You are awesome. :) And thank you for sharing! I really do appreciate it.
And I really appreciated her reply!

Recently, I had acquired about 100 pounds of various hardwoods—the kinds and shapes usually used for turning bowls.

I already had envisioned a winter project involving wooden mosaics, so this trove of exotic woods was a great find.

A few of the pieces, however, were just a little too much for me to handle so I made one of those chunks into the top of a 18" stool (pictured at right.)

Its stumpy feet were re-purposed from the same coffee table!

A little overbuilt, perhaps?

I used the other half of the coffee table top to fix a computer desk I had (with a glass top*) and it fit perfectly as well.


*Tip: NEVER GET A GLASS TOPPED DESK!

By Professor Batty


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

                                                                       All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2024