Friday, March 30, 2018

San Francisco - Recap



In the month since we’ve been back there hasn’t been a day that I haven’t spent thinking about San Francisco and our trip. I’ve even read a rash of San Francisco-based mysteries, in hopes of extending the “high”, all of them featured numerous places we saw. They were OK, perhaps more memorable as sinister travelogues than as literature. I even read a couple of Armistead Maupin’s Tales of the City books, more like outlines than novels, but still trashy fun. Of course I had to watch Alfred Hitchcock’s Vertigo again, a more sublime type of fun. I’ve even printed up some of the images featured here on FITK and put them on display in Flippist World Headquarters so I would be reminded of SF on a daily basis. The were photos that I didn’t take when I was in SF, however. The numerous homeless people, some in extreme circumstances, were a constant presence in the downtown area. The jarring juxtaposition of wealth and poverty was constant.

Other scenes were more pleasant. There are numerous small playgrounds for children (adults must be accompanied by children!) that were absolutely inspired:



The museums were very good as well, The de Young was exceptional. The SFMOMA had several “major works” but somehow seemed less focused. A highlight of SFMOMA was the few minutes I shared on a bench with a five-year-old girl as we gazed at a magnificent Rothko. She was just as magnificent as the painting, in her own way. The Asian Art Museum had the best layout, even with many groups of school children on field trips it never seemed crowded.


Petite Auberge, San Francisco

I was relaxing on the bed in our hotel after the last day of traipsing around San Francisco. The Weaver asked me what it was I that was thinking about.

I had been thinking of a variety of things; being in a new city kind of forces a new perspective on a person. Over the weekend I had met two of my long term blog-pals (as well as their partners), and I was still “processing” those experiences. The idea that one could establish relationships, albeit casual, with people outside of your physical existence and develop them, however imperfectly, via a computer still seems unreal. To do it such a stimulating place as San Francisco made it almost magical. Those feelings might say more about the insular nature of my existence than it does about the nature of reality, but I’ll take it. The reluctant searcher, finding more than I imagined.

“I am blessed,” was my answer.


See all the FITK San Francisco posts here.

By Professor Batty


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023