Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Jóhann Jóhannsson Documentary

A call for materials pertaining to the late Icelandic musician/composer for an upcoming documentary prompted me to revisit some of the images I have of the man.

I first became aware of him in the avant-garde Apparat Organ Quartet at the 2006 Iceland Airwaves:






It was the start of a beautiful relationship. I became aware of his other musical pursuits: composer of music for plays and films, previous work with pop groups (Unun), and experimental hi-concept electronica.

He was gracious enough to actually come to Minneapolis, just for me it seemed (the show was sparsely attended):


Southern Theater, June 30, 2009

And again, only sixteen months before his death:


Cedar Theater, October 18th, 2016

I think the most fun he had when I saw him perform was when he was with the group Evil Madness performing “soundtracks for imaginary horror films”:


Iðno, Reykjavík, October 21, 2006

By Professor Batty


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2024