Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Reverse Viking



This Christmas I plundered Icelandic culture, a reverse Viking, so to speak. No Harðfiskur, alas, but plenty of music, movies and reading. Jar City by Arnaldur Indriðason, was a gift from my blog-pal Rose, to replace my missing copy. Definitely related to that book is the non-fiction Promising Geonomics, by Mike Fortun (a signed copy!) about deCode Genetics, the Icelandic company doing genetic research. My nephew found a copy of the vinyl LP What's Hidden There?, a reissue of a scarce prog-rock album by the early 70's Icelandic band Svanfriður. I'm almost afraid to listen. I have listened to the late 90's CD Super Shiny Dreams by UNUN, fronted by another blog-pal Heiða (you'll have to Google translate her site); pleasant pop by a super-group of Icelandic musicians.

Rounding out my hoard are three DVD's: the legendary 101 Reykjavík, White Night Wedding, and Devil's Island. I've reviewed Wedding, I'll post reviews of the others as I watch them.

Finally, the best for last:

The Islander: A Biography of Halldór Laxness by Halldór Gudmundsson. 600+ pages, I'm only on the first chapter and it is already great, a review of this book will be forthcoming as well.

By Professor Batty


3 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Professor, you must have been a very, very good boy! What a haul! My husband and I just finished Jar City; both of us really liked it.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Let me know if you get to see the movie- I was very impressed with how they translated it to the screen.


Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

If I hadn't received such a nice present from my favorite Professor, I'd be very jealous. Of the Laxness bio, specifically. I'm really looking forward to reading your review, Batty!

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023