Monday, January 15, 2018

Petite Auberge



Translated as “Little Country Inn”, Petite Auberge is a common name for informal French-style small hotels around the world. For our midwinter respite this year, The Weaver and I will be staying at one of them next month. Not in France, not in England, but rather in “that city by the bay“—San Francisco. Its decor may be a little frou-frou for some tastes, but after scanning some bizarre offerings from other hotels in the district, I think I’ll go with elegant over edgy.

This will be a car-less vacation, there is plenty to see and do within walking distance, and we’ll be only a block away from the cable cars! We’ve already got a list of things to do, but any suggestions are appreciated.

By Professor Batty


7 Comments:

Blogger Jono said...

"Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair." That sounds like a nice break from the Minnesota winter routine. I think the food alone would be enough to keep me busy.


Blogger oroboros said...

Prof, 'elegant' and 'edgy' links are the same image. If you like spicy Chinese, try the Hunan Kitchen. Not sure if it still exists, but if so...YUM!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Jono ~ our winter trips are meant to "break the back" of winter, and this winter has been a real stinker so far.

Oro ~ I've fixed the link, I think the Hunan Kitchen may have moved, it is in Rohnert Park now.


Anonymous Shoshanah said...

Go to the Musee Mechanique. http://www.museemechanique.org/


Anonymous Shoshanah said...

Look up the Sutro Baths- really interesting. Take a bus over there and hike down to the cave. (You used to be able to rent bicycles in Golden Gate Park, but I don’t know anymore). Ditto baths and then walk over to the Cliff House for dinner- look up the fascinating history on that, too. Then a walk down the beach there with the Weaver. The zoo is over there, too— I should have loaned you my zoo key when you came in December, but I didn’t think of it!

I also love the Palace of Fine Arts, though the Exploratorium isn’t there anymore, and I don’t know what moved into that space. Maybe you can go and tell us?

I went to the new Exploratorium after it opened, on Easter, and a guy walked by me on the sidewalk, wearing a tee shirt and cargo shorts, carrying a full size wooden cross. I swear to God, San Francisco...

If you’re in the neighborhood, Chikdhoid home of Shoshanah is at 28th and Delores. It’s s common stop for pilgrims. ;)


Blogger Professor Batty said...

SLM ~ Thanks for the great ideas, I'd never heard of the Sutro baths. I'll look for the pilgrim caravan heading toward your old place.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

SLM ~ You have a key to the zoo. Of course.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023