Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Stealth in the Stacks



City Lights is a bookstore in San Francisco. Founded by Lawrence Ferlinghetti and Peter D. Martin in 1953, it remains a center for poetry and a diverse literary culture. The books of Icelandic Nobel laureate Halldór Laxness fit right in with the other leftist-taoist titles:



Since I started the Laxness in Translation website, I’ve been doing guerilla advertising for it in the form of cards inserted into his titles at various bookstores:



So what better place to culturally infiltrate than City Lights? I haven’t gotten any response yet, but that’s alright, it isn’t a competition.

By Professor Batty


5 Comments:

Blogger Jono said...

That's a great idea, Batty!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

I'm full of them! Or is it "I'm full of it?"


Blogger oroboros said...

First time I witnessed that technique was about 35 years ago: the Fourth Way groups inserts in Gurdjieff/Ouspensky books at the Bodhi Tree bookstore in the Hollywood area.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

I'll piggy-back to promote someone else, but not myself.


Blogger oroboros said...

Good for you...I meant no criticism, just that the practice is long used. Talk about targeted ad audience; efficiency on the hoof...

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023