Friday, January 08, 2021

Bookseller Blues

Confessions of a Bookseller
by Shaun Bythell

Seven Kinds of People You Find in Bookshops
by Shaun Bythell

I had read Shaun’s first book, The Diary of a Bookseller way back in 2019 (seems like a whole different era now) and found it to be a hoot. I read the second volume Confessions of a Bookseller during the (first) Covid lockdown and was just as amused.
Bythell’s latest book, Seven Kinds of People You Find in Bookshops was written during the Covid lockdown.

In it Shaun describes, in a most imperfect taxonomy, the various customers he has had to deal with (when the store was open). This is a short book, not as funny overall, but it does have its own moments of brilliance. You don’t need to read the other ones first, although they do tie in with the themes expressed in this one.

As much as Shaun would hate to hear me say it, the three books, together, would serve as a basis for a smashing BBC TV series.

By Professor Batty


4 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

By coincidence I just started the book Diary of a Bookseller yesterday. Very fun read to take my mind off of “things”. We visited Wigtown on a visit to Scotland some years ago so even more fun!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

I've laughed out loud several times at all three books. The videos are great too, but I wouldn't watch them until after I had finished the first book. The books made me want to go to Wigtown too.


Blogger Mary said...

Enjoyed the book, I will read the other two. It worried me that so little money was going into the till most days, I guess he is doing okay, the shop’s website says that the Random Book Club is full, no more capacity!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

I think his main income (outside of these books) comes from private sales of valuable books.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023