Saturday, December 08, 2018

Return to Mount Horeb



The siren call of another art fair in the old school house brought us back to Mount Horeb yesterday. The Battymobile knows the way by heart (with a little GPS help; it is the sixth visit in four years.) First we stopped in to The Cat and Crow where the Weaver bought yarn, while I admired a Shoshanah original Wooly:



I did some shopping as well, satisfying my plate fetish with this antique hand-painted piece of Titian Della Robia stoneware ($1 at the thrift store):



In the afternoon, I did some research at the most excellent Driftless Historium about my great uncle Byron Jorns, viewing his archives and paintings:

Jorns

They had one drawing of his there that was not on display.

The sale started at 4 p.m. We entered the schoolhouse to the sound of carols:



There was recent work by Shoshanah:



Everybody loves Shoshanah’s art:



I’d need a bigger house were I to get her painting pictured in the background above.

We just had to have some of Shoshanah’s Emily Dickenson Christmas ornaments (doesn’t everybody?):




By Professor Batty


7 Comments:

Blogger Jono said...

I really need an extended trip off the farm. There is so much I am missing just in the upper Midwest.


Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

Love the picture of Zanimal playing violin! It was good to see you and the Weaver. I didn’t expect you, what with the secret government mission and all.


Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

PS I drive by your Uncle’s house all the time. I guess this valley has been home to artists for a long time.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

We actually got in Thursday afternoon and had a chance to "do the town". Ate at The Bistro 101, The Sunn Cafe (it will never compare to Dick’s), The Grumpy Troll and, of course, Sjölinds (where we saw world famous author Alex Bledsoe!) I even bought my suit at Duluth Trading!


Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

Cool! Alex is almost always at Sjölinds. He calls it his “office.” His son tragically died about three months ago. He was Zanimal’s age. I only know Alex because his son and my daughter were friends when they were 3-4. I’m so happy whenever I see that he is still writing.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

The Weaver bought and read The Bottom of the Lake (she enjoyed it) and talked with Steven. So we saw three famous authors last weekend!


Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

I just ran into Steven Stack at Walgreens and he was pleased aspinch with how it all went.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023